15 October 2014

A jolt from the Dalai Lama

I love this quote. I'm sure I've put it on this blog before, but I just spotted it among my files and it's been so long since I read it that my eyes sprang open wide and I got a bit of a jolt.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered,

 “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, then dies having never really lived.”

Do you like it too?




2 comments :

  1. I love this! I notice that both your previous post (about the possums around the Vipassana medition centre) and the later post about the death of the Orpington - are about engaging with life and death, in various ways. And, I wonder how the Dalai Lama might respond to your question about the possums. Not that I would expect him to have any solutions, but he might have an interesting perspective. Because - I don't think our attempts to exterminate possums are working. How many traps, how much poison - and there are more possums than ever! It's almost as if they are responding to our attacks by breeding faster and faster. And yes, I do have a possum trap in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are certainly not winning the battle Alice, I agree. Years ago there was talk of somehow sterilising possums - not doing surgery on them but iby some other manner that naturally spread from possum to possum. It must have failed or it would be in place by now. It would indeed be most interesting to see what the DL would suggest. I wonder if he has a blog with a comments section!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...